Registering as a resident

This means registering your name on the Municipal Residency list, showing all the residents of the town. Both Spanish residents and residents from overseas may register, regardless of their age, and whether or not their situation has been regularised.

Registering as a resident

People living in the town must be registered in this registry.

  • It may be a requirement for many official procedures, social assistance and economic assistance.
  • It means that they can apply for the Individual Health Card, sign their children up for school or be eligible for the town's Social Services.
  • It is used to prove how long someone has been living in Spain.
  • It allows applicants to participate in programmes to improve the living conditions of local residents.

Non-EU foreigners must renew their registration on the municipal census, unless they have a long term residence permit. This must be done within two years of registration.


To register in Getxo, you must:

  • Be an adult, or under-age with authorisation.
  • Reside in the town.


You must present an official document that is proof of your identity:

  • It is the Spanish National Identity Card (DNI) for those people with Spanish nationality.
  • Valid identification documents for foreigners are the Foreign Nationals’ Identification Number issued on a current passport or other document. Minors require the Family Register or a legalised birth certificate.

A document is due to present that credits the use of the house:

  • Further information
  • If there is no other people living at the address, you need the deed or lease contract.
  • If you do not have any of these documents, you must apply for registration as a resident in writing, and the Authorities will check the data and residence.

All documents presented must be accompanied by photocopies of the same.

When minors register as resident at an address other than their parents’ address, they require an authorisation document.


These formalities are carried out at the Citizen Advice Bureau (OAC) and must be repeated if you move.